Joint Tempus project:
RESTRUCTURING OF STUDY PROGRAMME IN ARCHITECTURE TO LONG-CYCLE INTEGRATED MASTER IN LINE WITH EU STANDARDS (RESARCH)
In accordance with the work plan and available budget, UPKM-Faculty of Technical Sciences has achieved the following results in the framework of RESARCH 530440 Tempus project:
- Architecture study programme was restructured in accordance with the EU Directive on Regulated Professions (2005/36/EC)
- National Accrediation for restructured study programme was obtained in 2014
- Implemenation of accrediated programme began in school year 2014/2015
- New studies of architecture are distincive at international level
- Knowedge transfer (academic staff and students) within the consortium has been succesfully carried out through trainings and students’ short mobility stays
- UPKM – Faculty of Technical Sceinces has been modernised with the introduction of new pedagogical methodologies and new knowledge application
- The institution has improved its capacities with the new equipment and teaching material
- Cooperation with non-academic sector has been intensified
- Numerous other positive impact on institution have been registred.
Contributors to objectives’ achievement
The achievement of project results was possible thanks to different positive contributing factors:
- Dedicated work and the commitment of project team members
- Previous experience in accreditation processes and procedures
- Full institutional managerial and administrative support
- Participation and support from the colleagues since the beginning of project life. The development of new programme was intensive and rather long process during which the members of the Department of Architecture at the Faculty of Technical Sciences were exchanging opinions and experience, giving personal contributions to new programme content and organisation and syllabi development.
- Positive evaluation report of the institution issued by National Commission for Accreditation, with special mention of the significance of on-going Tempus project, which paved the way to later successful programme accreditation
- Significant support and help from the Tempus (Erasmus+) Office, especially from Mitrovica branch Tempus (Erasmus+) Officer MSc Goran Lazić
- Participation at informative events and seminars organised by Tempus (Erasmus+) Office in collaboration with UPKM
- Excellent collaboration and collegial support from the project co-ordinator – University of Montenegro-Faculty of Architecture and with project manager Assoc. Prof. Dr Dragan Komatina
- Excellent collaboration and expertise support from EU partners institutions: University of Ljubljana – Faculty of Architecture, Riga Technical University – Faculty of Architecture and Urban Planning and Technological Educational Institute of Athens, as well as from institutional project managers: Assoc. Prof. Dr Alenka Fikfak, Full Prof. Dr Ugis Bratuškins and Full Prof. Dr Ioannis Kiosopoulos.
New study programme
The implementation of new study programme in architecture, reformed in the framework of Tempus RESARCH project, started on 1.10.2014.
While modifying existing, i.e. creating new study programme, RESARCH project team took into consideration the fact that given educational scope impacts job opportunities. At the same time, the frame of necessary knowledge that needs to be transferred to the students of architecture has been respected. The curriculum outcomes are synchronised with the EU Directive on Regulated Professions – 2005/36/EC, which aims to enable international diploma recognition and free movement of Master Engineers of Architecture within European labour and education markets.
Before programme modification, a critical review of existing programme has been carried out, where both teaching staff and students from the Department of Architecture of the Faculty of Technical Sciences in Kosovska Mitrovica were involved. Members of the Architecture Department also conducted individual research and gave own proposals for new programme. Then, comparative analysis of all given proposals was carried out and common stand was derived and adopted. Existing programme was compared with the programmes of RESARCH partners and of other international and national architectural educational institutions, with national and international regulations and even with the theoretical debates on architectural education. All these complex studies and their results represented inputs for programme redevelopment.
New programme was internally and externally evaluated and nationally accredited.
Implemented programme is regularly monitored. The last self-evaluation survey, as a part of the overall Strategy for Quality Assurance at the Faculty of Technical Sciences, included assessment of the quality of work of teaching staff by students. The action was coordinated by Faculty’s Commission for Accreditation and Quality Control.
Internet, TV and radio advertising, promotional events and printed posters and bilingual brochures containing programme description, title and weight of all courses expressed in ECTS credits, have been used as some of the methods for spreading wide the information about new study programme.
The programme will remain as only relevant for architecture as it gradually and progressively substitutes existing one.
The syllabi of all accredited courses in national language are available here.
Detailed description of new programme can be found here.
The equipment purchased in the framework of RESARCH project provides direct technical support to new programme implementation. All acquired equipment items are inscribed in institutional inventory books.
Existing library fund has been enriched for more than 150 new titles corresponding to programme syllabi.
Electrical equipment was installed and made available to staff and students. Skilled technicians at the Faculty of Technical Sciences take care about equipment’s daily maintenance. New items create better conditions for theoretical classes, design-build students’ work, computer drawing courses, students’ field work, design projects’ plotting, preparation of lectures and exercises and updating of educational themes.
Knowledge upgrade has been reached by:
- Staff trainings, organised as short stays in EU partners institutions and visits at the Faculty of Technical Sciences in Kosovska Mitrovica, in order to upgrade teaching skills, especially in terms of organisation of design studios and workshops. The results may be seen through positive changes in the organisation of teaching
- RESARCH consortium meetings, workshops and diverse collaborative actions resulting with new project proposals, common published papers, and other
- TEMPUS Info Days and HERE Seminars – resulting with the improvements in project implementation. Mitrovica RESARCH Team regularly attended informative events and seminars organized by the Erasmus+ (previous Tempus) NEO Office and the University, such as Tempus Info Days or HERE seminars. The Team saw these events as an opportunity to learn about Tempus and Erasmus+ programmes and actions, as well as about contemporary trends and challenges in higher education (such as internationalization, mobility, reforms, cooperation between higher education and vocational education, etc.)
- Synergy with other Tempus projects: BLATT, PIQAS and ENERGY – resulting with experience exchange and knowledge upgrade
- Students’ short mobility stays – resulting with upgraded students’ competencies and experience sharing. Three student’s mobility flows from UPKM to RTU have taken place, each with two weeks duration. Upon return, the students provided feedback and brought certificates confirming the achieved success at RTU Summer School.
Various useful information and knowledge relevant for RESARCH development as well as for its subject were shared during the internal and several public events co-organised by RESARCH team.
At the Kick-off meeting in Brussels (26-27 November 2012), administrative management of the project has been established, the rules for grant utilisation were elaborated, and methodological path for project implementation has been considered and agreed.
At the Consortium meeting in Podgorica (21-23 March 2013) existing study programme in architecture at the Faculty of Technical Sciences has been presented and compared with the existing programme of the Faculty of Architecture in Podgorica. Members of the RESARCH team from Kosovska Mitrovica, as well as the regional colleagues from Podgorica, had an opportunity to learn from EU project partners from Athens, Ljubljana and Riga about European accreditation procedures, necessary architectural programme content, presence of various disciplines in the curriculum, credit distribution, etc. Learnt lessons were later shared with the members of the Department of Architecture during several departmental meetings.
During the meeting organised at Riga Technical University and Faculty of Architecture and Urban Planning (30 May – 1 June 2013), the experiences in terms of entrance conditions, students’ workshops organisation, practical placement terms, mobility, mobility administration and library management have been exchanged among the participants. The meeting was an opportunity to get acquainted in detail with the organisation, functioning and teaching practise of the Faculty of Architecture and Urban Planning in Riga. At the same event, the colleagues from Podgorica and the members of the RESARCH team from Kosovska Mitrovica presented the first drafts of new study programmes and got very useful advices from the Programme Countries partners, which was a significant input for further upgrade.
At the Faculty of Architecture in Ljubljana, on the 10th of October 2013, upgraded versions of new study programmes we analysed and revised. The meeting was an opportunity to get acquainted in detail with the organisation, functioning and teaching practise of the Faculty of Architecture in Ljubljana and to learn about procedures and regulations for the accreditation of study programmes in Slovenia, international collaboration development, library managing and updating, as well as about the students’ mobility practice at the University of Ljubljana.
The second part of 2013 meeting organised by the Faculty of Architecture in Ljubljana was held in Goriška Brda, where the members of Mitrovica RESARCH team got an opportunity to attend the 1st Slovenian Conference of Medicine, Architecture and Urban Design and to present their project-related research work on contemporary debates in architectural education to the public, on the 12th of October 2013..
At the fifth meeting of all partners institutions participating in RESARCH project, held at the Technical Educational Institute of Athens (10-11 April 2014), the preparation of the accreditation documentation for reformed architectural curriculum at the University of Montenegro – Faculty of Architecture and University of Priština in Kosovska Mitrovica – Faculty of Technical Sciences, as well as the internal and external evaluation of new curriculum in line with EU standards were discussed. In this regard, the participants of the meeting got an exceptional opportunity to visit the offices of Greek National Commission for Accreditation and to learn there about the international procedures and key standards in accreditation and quality in higher education.
Other topics discussed during the meeting at TEI Athens included students’ and teaching staff mobility, institutional administration and library, and the exchange of practices in several particular thematic domains of architectural education.
At the consortium meeting organised at the Faculty of Technical Sciences in Kosovska Mitrovica on 9-10 June 2014, RESARCH project and its achieved results were promoted though the exhibition “2×1” opened jointly by representatives of all partners institutions. Additionally, the meeting was an opportunity to exchange experience in domains of quality assurance, evaluation of educators’ scientific and professional results, methodology of project dissemination, and the new Erasmus + actions. Synergy with the projects PIQAS and BLATT was achieved through collaboration in two mentioned topics – quality assurance and methodology of project dissemination.
On the second day of the meeting, after indoor work, the participants took the trip to visit several significant architectural highlights inscribed in UNESCO heritage lists.
The meeting in Riga, held on 15-17 October 2014, was dedicated to RESARCH teachers’ trainings through involvement in classes, staff and students’ mobility, double-degree programs’ and their advantages, presence of Fine Arts subjects in architectural curriculum, implementation of design-built concept in architectural education, and to the 55th International Scientific Conference in the Fields of Architecture and Urban Planning where RESARCH members presented at a separate session their joint project-related research results in domains of architectural education and practice.
The eight meeting of all partners institutions organised at the Technical Educational Institute of Athens on 2-3 April 2015 was useful in terms of acquiring facts and exchanging experience about students’ workshops, organisation of field classes and methodology of pedagogical work in interior architecture, decorative arts and design study programmes.
Between 17-21 June 2015, RESARCH consortium attended meeting in Nova Gorica organised by the Faculty of Architecture in Ljubljana. The meeting was consisted of project management sessions, workshops, Deans’ workshop, and the sessions of the 2nd International Academic Conference Places & Technologies 2015, where RESARCH participants presented their new research results. At the Deans’ workshop, the collaboration among RESARCH partners has been extended to include new higher education institutions which educate architects, so that new institutional cooperation agreements were agreed at this occasion. Parallel with the Conference, the electronic exhibition containing works of RESARCH project representatives was presented to wide public at the Conference venue.
At the meeting organised by the Faculty of Technical Sciences in Kosovska Mitrovica on 7-8 June 2016, overall RESARCH results achieved by two regional project partners have been presented. The implementation of new accredited study programme in architecture at the Faculty of Technical Sciences in Kosovska Mitrovica was explained in detail, with the examples of particular design courses and the presentation of students’ involvement in the framework of RESARCH project. Two students of architecture in Kosovska Mitrovica who attended International Summer School 2015 organised by Riga Technical University gave the presentation about their new international experience and lessons learned. In the managerial part of the meeting which included two workshops and round table discussion, project finances, administration, preparation for the Final Report, further promotional and collaborative actions, as well as the project sustainability, were considered.
The final RESARCH Conference will be organised at the University of Montenegro – Faculty of Architecture, on 6-8 October 2016.
The Faculty of Technical Sciences in Kosovska Mitrovica has organised or co-organised three public exhibitions in the framework of RESARCH project.
Annual exhibition of the work of students of architecture at the Faculty of Technical Sciences was organised and opened on the 9th of June 2014. New study programme brochures were disseminated on this occasion; informative exhibition posters and invitations were distributed prior to the opening. Since the date of the exhibition opening overlapped with the sixth meeting of RESARCH consortium, as well as with another exhibition planned within the Consortium, the name “2×1” encompassing both exhibitions was coined. The part of the exhibition including contributing works of all RESARCH partners was presented in electronic format.
On the 24th of February 2015, in cooperation with Gračanica House of Culture, the exhibition named “From our point of view”, containing the works of students of architecture, was opened at the Gallery of Gračanica House of Culture. For this occasion, the hosts have published exhibition catalogue and thus added value to the whole event.