RESTRUCTURING OF STUDY PROGRAMME IN ARCHITECTURE TO LONG-CYCLE INTEGRATED MASTER IN LINE WITH EU STANDARDS (RESARCH)
NEW STUDIES OF ARCHITECTURE
New study programme in architecture at the Faculty of Technical Sciences in Kosovska Mitrovica, in accordance with the higher education regulations valid at the time of documentation submission and the international standards, is designed as a holistic study programme with 300 ECTS technically divided into two parts: undergraduate – 4 years (240 ECTS) and master – 1 year (60 ECTS). Offered elective courses in the fifth year of architectural education allow students to direct their professional interest to narrow architectural field. Entry exam for master courses is cancelled and the transfer from one to another cycle of education is simplified. The number of entries for both levels is equal. Technical division enables students to exit the studies after four years of full-time education (with the diploma of Graduated Engineer of Architecture) or to remain at the Faculty for all five years and obtain the diploma of Master Engineer of Architecture. It is believed that such an organization of studies contributes to the enhancement of mobility of master studies students. All five years of architectural education at the Faculty of Technical Sciences in Kosovska Mitrovica have necessary horizontal and vertical continuity in terms of subject themes, credit distribution, growing complexity, practical placement requirements, master thesis and master project conditions, etc.
Because of the changeable labour market conditions and in accordance with the previous practice, it is expected that the largest number of graduated engineers of architecture will continue their professional development through master studies. The increasing complexity of the profession and a large number of jobs that can be performed by the architect requires more years of education. Continuing education to the master level enables students to overcome the complexity of scientific fields of architecture and to acquire competencies that are socially justified and useful and that provide wider choice of occupations.
Undergraduate courses are designed in a way to provide students with the basic theoretical and practical knowledge in the fields of architecture, urbanism, architectural technology and structural design and to facilitate understanding of the breadth and complexity of the aforementioned scientific and technical fields, i.e. to prepare the students for further education at master level and for labour market. Master courses offer to students the advanced knowledge in the field of architectural and urban design, theory of architecture, urbanism and art and introduce the methodology of scientific research as a preparation for the continuation of education at specialist or doctoral studies or for professional work. Altogether, studies of architecture at the Faculty of Technical Sciences in Kosovska Mitrovica provide students with reasonable applicative knowledge and skills for independent and responsible professional work in a variety of occupations in the field of architecture.
Teaching and learning are organized through lectures, exercises, project and research work in the studio, workshops, field work, consultations, scientific and artistic educational work, professional practice, etc.
The curriculum is structured through study units and courses, where study units represent the packages consisted of one or more courses grouped according to the content and applied pedagogy.
All courses are divided on mandatory and elective, or, by type, on academic-general, theoretical-methodological, scientific/artistic-professional and professionally applicative courses, in accordance with the standards for the field of technical-technological sciences.
Work in studio represents the educational core. Through individual and group work on different assignments, the students in studio acquire necessary knowledge, skills and competencies in the fields of architecture, urbanism and architectural technologies. Studio promotes the development of research that precedes, follows or is derived from the design and the integration of theoretical knowledge acquired in different courses with practical work, thus enabling future architects to deeply and broadly understand professional challenges and to offer their successful resolution.
By completing five years of architectural education at the Faculty of Technical Sciences in Kosovska Mitrovica, students acquire the following competencies:
- Ability to understand architectural profession, its scope, role, ethics, contemporary challenges and responsibilities towards social, cultural, urban, architectural and environmental values and heritage
- Ability to understand relations between people, buildings, space between them and the environment, i.e. the interrelations between physical, social, cultural, technological and ecological aspects of architecture and of its contexts, as well as the interrelations between the architecture and its context
- Developed individual creative expression and critical stand expressed by using advanced communication skills, professional language and adequate presentation methods and forms
- Developed skills for carrying out individual research in the built environment by mastering research methods, procedures and practices, and ability to link research with the design
- Ability to derive theoretic assumptions on space
- Ability to synthetize and apply knowledge and skills in identification, investigation and solving of the problems in known or unknown spatial conditions, at various scale and of various complexity
- Ability to work in teams and with different stakeholders
- Ability to individually upgrade knowledge and track innovations in architecture
- Potential for the continuation of the education in compatible specialists or doctoral programmes
- Ability to develop and execute architectural projects of various type and scale, and to meet functional, technical, aesthetic and environmental requirements and customer demands
- Ability to design architectural structures, offer construction and engineering solutions, make appropriate selection of building materials and understand the principles of physics and comfort of architectural objects
- Ability to apply the principles of sustainable design and implement measures to achieve and maintain energy efficiency
- Ability to professionally engage in architectural and urban renewal as one of the most certain activities in future
- Knowing and understandings history and theory of architecture, urban planning and art, and current national and international architectural trends
- Ability to develop urban design and planning projects and carry out urban analyses
- Knowing and understandings regulations and procedures for the design and construction of buildings
- Ability to carry out financing projects, price and cost control
- Ability to manage design projects and construction of buildings